Staff Software Engineer / Tech Lead Manager
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 4, 2021
At Anyscale, we're on a mission to democratize distributed computing and make it accessible to software developers of all skill levels. We’re commercializing Ray, a popular open-source project that's creating an ecosystem of libraries for scalable machine learning. Companies like OpenAI, Uber, Spotify, Instacart, Cruise, and many more, have Ray in their tech stacks to accelerate the progress of AI applications out into the real world.
With Anyscale, we’re building the best place to run Ray, so that any developer or data scientist can scale an ML application from their laptop to the cluster without needing to be a distributed systems expert.
Proud to be backed by Andreessen Horowitz, NEA, and Addition with $250+ million raised to date.
Anyscale is based in San Francisco, CA. Employees are required to come in office 3x a week.
About the role:
We're looking for passionate, motivated people who are excited to build tools that will power the next generation of cloud applications. If the idea of an infinite laptop appeals to you, let's build the future of software development together.
We're hiring exceptional Staff Software Engineers for a variety of open roles, including:
- Distributed systems
- Production serving
- Site Reliability
- Developer Productivity
We are particularly looking for staff and above candidates who can help lay down solid architectural foundations for the future of Ray and Anyscale. We are open to both Individual Contributors and people who are primarily technical but have prior experience managing a small team.
As part of this role, you will:
- Develop high-quality software to empower software developers and simplify programming through the Anyscale platform
- Work on difficult architectural problems and turn them into reality
- Work with a team of leading experts in the areas of distributed systems and machine learning
- Communicate your work to a broader audience through talks, tutorials, and blog posts
- You like to work closely with end users and iterate on the product with them
- Help us build and shape a world-class company
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- You have 5+ years of building, scaling and maintaining software systems in production environments
- Solid fundamentals in algorithms, data structures, system design
- Experience designing fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Strong architectural skills
- Experience working with a cloud technology stack (AWS, GCP, Kubernetes)
- Experience building machine learning training pipelines or inference services in a production setting
- Experience with big data tools (Spark, Flink, Hadoop)
- Experience managing small teams in pursuit of an ambitious technical goal
- At Anyscale, we take a market-based approach to compensation. We are data-driven, transparent, and consistent. The target salary for this role is $237,000 ~ $284,614. As the market data changes over time, the target salary for this role may be adjusted.
- Stock Options
- Healthcare plans, with premiums covered by Anyscale at 99%
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Wellness stipend
- Education stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible Time Off
- Commute reimbursement
- 100% of in office meals covered
This role is also eligible to participate in Anyscale's Equity and Benefits offerings, including the following:
Anyscale Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates are evaluated without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal or state law.