Head of Spacecraft Systems Engineering
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2023
Wanna Join the Adventure?
Loft is hiring a Head of Systems Engineering to provide technical leadership on our satellite missions, from early phases of CONOPS design and system design to integration, test, and in-orbit operations. The breadth of this role spans detailed analysis and testing to the management of requirements and verification methodology.
As the Head of Systems for Loft's international team, you will work on multiple satellite missions simultaneously, each with a unique, multi-payload configuration. You will work cross-functionally across multiple Loft teams: satellite operation software, payload interface software, mission engineering and AIT.
*Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
About this role:
- Lead the systems engineering from a technical perspective
- Develop and maintain technical budgets for spacecraft performance
- Develop and manage system requirements and verification techniques.
- Develop and evolve mission CONOPS, supporting the development of Service Level Agreements with Loft's customers
- Develop test procedures and participate in the integration and test campaign at our spacecraft manufacturer's site
- Assist with program management and product management.
- Develop, in collaboration with team members, interface specifications, CONOPS definition, and other design documents.
- Build and establish engineering standards and best practices with technical stakeholders at the company
- 10-15 years of experience as a systems engineer in the space industry
- Demonstrated experience as a technical specialist on specific spacecraft subsystems as well as system-level experience
- Demonstrated experience in small satellite assembly, integration and test campaigns
- Experience in a fast-paced development environment.
- Experience and passion for working in a software-centric environment
- Prior experience delivering a spacecraft to orbit and/or space-qualified hardware to a customer
- Prior experience working on a specific spacecraft subsystem or technical discipline
- Preferred: Experience in Electrical and Command and Data Handling a major plus
Some of Our Awesome Benefits:
- Equity, we want you to have an active role in our success
- Up to 35 days of Paid Time Off (vacations & RTT ) and flexible working hours, we want you to be at your best
- Health and life insurance, we care about your health
- Lunch Vouchers, because let’s be honest, we love food! (we even have a slack channel about it #loft-gourmand)
- Cross-office travel opportunities between San Francisco, Colorado, and Toulouse to learn from our differences
- Company and team off-sites and many other events to work & celebrate together
- Relocation assistance to Toulouse when applicable
Who We Are
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.
With 3 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
As an international company your resume will be reviewed by people across our offices so please attach a copy in English.
See more open positions at Loft Orbital
Something looks off?