Senior Satellite Systems Engineer
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2023
Wanna join the adventure?
Loft Orbital builds a space infrastructure providing a fast & simple path to orbit. Using different flight proven buses, we design, integrate and operate spacecrafts, to fly physical or virtual customers payloads. We handle entire missions from end to end, significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
As a Senior Spacecraft Systems Engineer at Loft, you will work as lead engineer for one or several satellite missions simultaneously, each one flying a single/multi-payload configuration. You will be the technical reference for these missions, working closely with mission manager and all the Loft teams: products development teams, flight and ground software, AIT and operations.
Using flight proven satellite buses and Loft designed payload hub infrastructure, you will lead the development activities of the missions you are in charge of.
*Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
About this role:
- Work with customers to develop and manage system requirements and verification techniques, and flowdown to software or hardware teams.
- Develop, in collaboration with team members, interface specifications and derive overall satellite architecture and design.
- Work with product and sub-systems engineers, to develop and maintain technical budgets for spacecraft performance.
- Work with flight operations to develop mission CONOPS, supporting the development of Service Level Agreements with Loft's customers
- Assist with program management and product management, including interfacing with customers on programmatic and schedule matters
- Support test procedures, and participate in the integration, test campaign, launch and in-orbit commissioning
- You have 5 to 10 years demonstrated experience as a spacecraft systems engineer, or equivalent experience in at least two different subsystems (ADCS, Mechanical, Thermal, Power, Avionics, …)
- You have strong communication and organizational skills
- You challenge norms in aerospace engineering and testing activities and or experienced in fast-paced development environment
- You have experience in small satellite assembly, integration and test campaigns, and/or in spacecraft delivery to orbit
- You handle pressure positively and are always ready to put hands-on
Nice to Haves:
- Experience in Electrical sub-systems
- Proficient with STK
- Knowledge of Python
- International experience
Some of Our Awesome Benefits:
- Equity, we want you to have an active role in our success
- Up to 35 days of Paid Time Off (vacations & RTT ) and flexible working hours, we want you to be at your best
- Health and life insurance, we care about your health
- Lunch Vouchers, because let’s be honest, we love food! (we even have a slack channel about it #loft-gourmand)
- Cross-office travel opportunities between San Francisco, Colorado, and Toulouse to learn from our differences
- Company and team off-sites and many other events to work & celebrate together
- Relocation assistance to Toulouse when applicable
Who We Are
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.
With 3 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
As an international company your resume will be reviewed by people across our offices so please attach a copy in English.