Electrical Systems Engineer
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Golden, CO, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 7, 2023
Wanna join the adventure?
We are seeking a talented and experienced Electrical Systems Engineer to join our dynamic team. In this role, you will play a crucial part in developing, integrating, and testing system-level solutions for our cutting-edge satellite projects. You will be responsible for high-level functional design, system and component requirements development, maintaining vehicle-level performance metrics, power budgets, command and control, wire diagrams, and collaborating closely with a multidisciplinary team to optimize for high-reliability space applications.
*Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
About the role:
- Develop, integrate, and test system-level solutions for satellite projects.
- Perform high-level functional design for space vehicle electrical systems.
- Develop the electrical system architecture to include power conditioning and distribution, command and control, data processing, and payload interfaces
- Develop system and component requirements and interconnect diagrams.
- Maintain vehicle-level performance metrics and power budgets.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to optimize system redundancy and fault tolerance.
- Support hardware-in-the-loop development, testing, and space vehicle integration.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field (Master's preferred).
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in high-reliability electrical system design for space systems.
- Knowledge of bus communication protocols such as CAN, Ethernet, SpaceWire, and serial communication.
- Strong understanding of power conditioning and distribution, and communication methods, including fault tolerance and redundancy for high-reliability systems.
- Proficiency in engineering software and tools relevant to electrical system design.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and communicate complex technical concepts.
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Attention to detail and a commitment to producing high-quality work.
Some of Our Awesome Benefits:
- Comprehensive dental, medical and vision insurance
- 401(k) plan and equity
- Daily catered lunches
- Cross office travel opportunities between San Francisco, Colorado, and Toulouse, France
- Generous maternity and paternity leave
- Off-sites and many happy hours
- Foreign language classes
- We offer relocation assistance when applicable
Who We Are
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.
With 3 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
As an international company your resume will be reviewed by people across our offices so please attach a copy in English.