Senior Product Designer
Be a Part of Something Big
At Alto, we're changing the way people invest for the future.
For too long, only the ultra-wealthy could afford to benefit from alternative investments, and that meant a lot of missed opportunities for everyday investors. Alto was founded on the belief that a diversified portfolio is essential to investing for the future, and that's only possible if everyone can invest in the assets they're truly interested in.
So we created a solution that allows ordinary people to invest their tax-advantaged retirement funds into non-traditional assets, like real estate, startups, securitized artworks, cryptocurrency, and more.
By joining Alto's growing team, you'll be helping to make our mission a reality. And you'll work with some truly unique people who are passionate about what they do. We're also pretty big on celebrating individuality—after all, one of our core values is "you do you." And we actually live it. Really.
To learn more about our team and working with us, please visit our Before You Apply page, which features videos of our CEO and other team members answering questions about working at Alto.
We are a remote organization, but we have a preference for candidates in Nashville, TN, Boulder, CO, and New York, NY.
As a Senior Product Designer, you will have significant ownership of design objectives and strategy. This role will be responsible for discovering opportunities for product excellence and differentiation on our products. Combining an understanding of business opportunities with a deep empathy for the user, you’ll work on creating experiences that help customers invest in alternatives to improve their overall wealth. You’ll collaborate with key stakeholders across the organization to determine strategy, roadmaps and deliverables while also maintaining a lot of autonomy over your work.
What you'll do:
- Product Strategy
- Conceptualize and design for web (including mobile) and print
- Contribute at a high level for design strategy and communicate the vision, roadmap, and goals for a business
- Define short- and long-term design opportunities for the product.
- Collaborate closely with Product Management, Engineering, Analytics and Business Development to define product solutions as well as business efficiencies
- Partner with Product Managers to develop the strategy and rationale for product solutions
- Partner closely with Engineering to ensure our implementation and user experience is of high-quality
- Prioritize internal, cross-functional, and external design resource(s).
- Create and iterate on solutions that are inspired by a deep empathy for our users
- Identify key opportunities to meet and prioritize user and business needs
- Use research and data to inform and implement solutions
- Ideate new product features and improvements.
- Work collaboratively to prioritize feature ideas.
- Flesh out feature concepts.
- UX Design
- Develop strategic insights and strategies to guide UX development
- Create high level user flows for complex products.
- Design processes, features, and components that can be used
- Understand business and technical needs
- Works cross-functionally (in and outside of the product team) to create innovative features.
- UI Design
- Design processes, features, and components that can be used across products
- Create UI components for product flows.
- Contribute components to the Alto design system.
- Work collaboratively with Engineering to ensure finished product meets design specifications.
- Work in close collaboration with Design Leadership to grow the team as well as to inform and improve design processes
What you'll need:
- 6+ years professional experience, specifically as a Product Designer designing web-based products, with experience with UX and UI.
- Bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent professional experience.
- Experience leading and launching end-to-end product / product features
- Design Portfolio demonstrating strong UX and visual design solutions, with an emphasis on identifying and meaningfully solving true user problems.
- Exceptional track record executing on product design strategy, mentoring designers, and partnering with cross functional team members.
- Experience building world class product experiences, and streamlining workflows with continuous iteration and improvement.
- High proficiency in Figma
- Familiarity with other UX/UI software for creating flows, prototypes
- Ability to analyze and use data and research to inform decisions
- Utilize understanding and analysis of quantitative data, qualitative user understanding, and knowledge of business capabilities to develop features and product experiments
- Attention to detail
- Humble — Not driven by personal opinions
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills to break down and solve complex problems
- Proven ability to collaborate cross-functionally
- Design discovery (user research, competitive research)
- Deep user empathy around complex/emotional categories
- Foundational understanding of HTML and CSS.
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead user experience design, including usability principles, user research methodology, testing techniques (A/B, Multi-Variant), design theory, and interaction design.
What will make you stand out:
- Willingness to roll up your sleeve and get things done.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Passionate about contributing and maintaining design systems
- Skills such as illustration, animation, data visualization, front-end programming, or copywriting a plus
We answered your most pressing questions before you apply here. We are a dynamic and collaborative team, all working towards a common goal. With every interaction, you feel our culture throughout our company. We care about diversity, inclusion, and belonging, and every voice is heard. We also care most about our people. We show it through our actions, and we offer a lot of really great benefits, including:
- A generous open PTO policy
- Comprehensive health insurance options for employees
- 401(k) with company match up to 3% yearly
- Equity as a part of your compensation
- A competitive compensation and benefits package
- 12 paid holidays
- Discounted and/or free Alto investor accounts
- Four to 12 weeks paid parental leave
- A remote-first culture - work from home or our Nashville office
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the US
- An emphasis on work-life balance
- No-meeting Fridays
Well, what are you waiting for? Apply already! :)
Alto is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination of Any Kind
Something looks off?